Thursday, May 7, 2009

Temple church inside the rock

There is a church in Helsinki that don't look all that much of anything seen from the outside. The reason being that it's built inside the rockface. All you see is half a dome sticking over the rock with a stonewall around it. I had no time to go inside this time but it's certainly worth a visit. Perhaps I'll get inside too one of these days. Not that I haven't been but never with a camera in hand. Anyway here is what you can see of it from the outside as well as a bit of the street going past it underneath the rocky hill.






On the other side of the hill lies the entry, which looks pretty boring. Don't let that fool you though. Inside it is very atmospheric and also many classical music concerts are held in this church because the acustics work very well.

I took such a lot of photos that day at the end of March so these 'wintery' scenes just keep on coming. I will do a new shoot later in the summer when all the flowers are in full bloom.

18 comments:

  1. Very interesting building. And concert are also interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so fascinating and fantastic. I really hope you can bring us inside one of these days. I already love the stone of the exterior and I'm wondering what the interior must be like especially since you say that it's very atmospheric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You scared me with that snow. Good thing it's March not May photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful shots. I love the rocks on the exterior of the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful church, I've been there several times in summer time. It's nice to see it under the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great to see the outside having seen many shots of the inside. I remember walking round the outside but I was short of memory on the card in my camera so didn't take the photos I now wish I had done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular and very ineresting.
    Helsinki is an amazing place.
    Mary Elizabeth @ Now and Then

    ReplyDelete
  8. Scillorna borde blomma i de dar omgivningarna just nu.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have enjoyed my look at Helsinki through your wonderful blog. It is a beautiful city and very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful structure, very impressive stones.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an interesting church. I look forward to seeing pictures of the interior.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very unusual. I bet the church has great insulation for natural air conditioning in summer and heat in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A very unusual building of a church. Generally they are build to impress, not so much nowadays but in earlier times. Well I guess an interest is achieved with something unusual. Great insulation against cold or hot. Just wondering why not more houses are build this way?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoy your blog and thnaks to it I have visited Helsinki virtually and will love to go some day in person.

    I have an award for you. You can come and collect it in my blog when you have a chance.
    Have a lovely day.
    Now and Then

    ReplyDelete
  15. This really looks like an amazing place. Particularly in the melt of the winter when the earth starts to show again. Makes for some wonderful contrasts.
    Regards from Australia!.
    G

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beauty! It does worth a visit. Thanks for these great posting.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou for taking the time to come and visit.